The Kind Diet book recommended that people flirting with going vegan should purchase 10 items to help them along the way. I’ve gone to the healthy section of my grocery store, as well as a local natural foods store, a couple of times now. I started with a few items, went another trip for a few more, etc.
I didn’t want to go crazy and get a ton of things that I would never use if I didn’t stay Vegan. I tried to get things that I knew that I would eat, but I also braved a few purchases for items that will truly be taste tests.
Here are some things I purchased that I will definitely eat:
- natural peanut butter (I actually had some and finished the jar, so I needed to get some more.)
- chocolate soy milk (Delicious! It’s good for chocolate cravings.)
- black beans
- chickpeas (I had some before I went Vegan, in a recipe that I was surprised I enjoyed. The recipe was for a meatloaf sauce from Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution. I’ve always been weary of recipes with beans, which is why I’m always surprised when I like them.)
- raw almonds
An item I purchased that I was surprised that I really liked:
- Morning Star Farms Chik’n Patties (veggie burgers) – I ate one with a salad. It was quite tasty!
An item I purchased that I wasn’t familiar with at all, and it wasn’t so bad either:
- Purely Decadent Vanilla Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert (It looked like ice cream, tasted a lot like ice cream, made me think I was having ice cream…) – I got vanilla instead of chocolate, to help me get away from my chocolate dependence.
Here are some things I purchased that I’m not familiar with, so I’m not so sure about how they will taste:
- baby bok choy
- ume plum vinegar (for a bok choy recipe from The Kind Diet book)
- almond milk
- rice milk (I remember trying plain once and it tasted like rice. This time, I bought vanilla.)
- vegetable broth
- Miso soup (I bought a packet that you add to hot water, just to try out the taste.)
- Ezekiel tortillas
- Earth Balance Natural Butter Spread