A few years ago, I went to a quilt shop and purchased a few yards each of 112 inch wide fabric. Normally, you find 45 in and 60 in fabric. I bought a piece in a white floral print and a beige one with little blue flowers. I sandwiched them together with some nice batting and started to quilt some flowers I traced from a stencil.
That’s when I realized what a project it would be.
When using a walking quilting foot on your sewing machine, it’s easiest to quilt in a straight line. Going in circles for flowers is not the quickest thing to do.
I decided to quilt lines diagonally across the quilt. I used a ruler and marked the lines about 2 inches apart using a marker with washable ink. I need to add that I had the lovely experience of marking these lines on a wooden floor in a small space.
Recently, when I had planned to visit my dad at his new house, I found out he had a king-size bed that didn’t have a comforter or quilt. I knew that was my opportunity to finally get this quilt finished. Thus, I dug it out of the storage bag in my bedroom and got to work.
First, I tried quilting at my smaller sewing table. I had my sewing machine hooked up there, because my serger was on my big desk. As you can see in the picture below, there just wasn’t enough room!
Next, I moved the sewing machine to the big table. It definitely gave me more room!
It took quite some time to do all of the quilting (row after row after row…), but I finally got that done. Instead of adding additional fabric to bind the quilt, I trimmed the edges, folded them up, and sewed them down. I broke two needles in the process, but it still got done reasonably easily.
Here’s a picture of the quilt on the king bed at my Dad’s place. This was just a week after my dad had moved into his house, so not all of the furniture was set up in permanent spots. After my visit, the king bed later got moved to a different room and was put on a frame with a head board.