For the last week, I’ve been teaching you how to alter a dress pattern. I also detailed how such alterations can sometimes lead to what some might call failure. Still, it was a grand learning experience. I’d never taken the sleeves from one dress pattern and incorporated them into another before. I guess I’d been watching too much of Project Runway! I just love Christian Siriano!!
On to quilting…
If you remember in my last post, my attempt at an altered pattern resulted in a dress that resembled a hospital gown. After attempting to alter the neckline to add some beauty and style to the dress, I gave up and turned the dress into a skirt. I still had the fabric from the top of the dress, so I decided to use it in a scrap quilt.
I have two books that I use for quilts. One is for scrap quilting, which also works for yards of fabric that you buy new at the store. The other book is for baby quilts.
I turned to a quilt that looked slightly complicated and had a lovely design. Normally, I stick to quilts with pieces made from strips or squares. This one required several fabrics with several cutting variations, just for one block! I was definitely up for the challenge. I also wanted to use the remaining dress fabric in a constructive way, to make up for “ruining” a beautiful dress. Yes, the dress could have been just fine and didn’t look completely like a hospital gown, so I could have left it alone and be wearing it right now, but I really need to stop kicking myself about it….
I’ve always wanted to do a blue quilt, and since I had several scraps of blue fabrics, I decided my first block for this new quilt would be different shades of blue.
Here’s my lovely blue fabric from the dress:
Step one: Cut out fabric in squares, triangles, strips, etc., following the directions in the book. Label each fabric A, B, C…
What’s great is that every fabric has a story. I’ve used each one to sew something for either myself or others.
A – This fabric was used for the dress that got turned into a skirt. It was the catalyst for this entire quilt.
B – This was used for another dress from the same pattern as A, except I used the patterns’ regular sleeves. Since the sleeves were too tight, Fabric B was the catalyst for the dress from Fabric A getting made. See, it’s Six Degrees of Separation for fabric!
C – This fabric was used with the same dress pattern as Fabric B.
D – This is Vincent van Gogh’s Starry Night fabric, except it someone painted in cows jumping over the moon. I used it to make a pair of boxer shorts for my best friend.
E – This fabric was from a very comfortable, short-sleeved blouse I made. This pattern takes a bit of time to make (elastic in the sleeves, gathering in the neckline), but it’s a great top. I had to make the neckline smaller (cut out a smaller size on the pattern pieces), otherwise the neckline would fall off my shoulder (Remember, I’m petite!).
F and G – These two fabrics were used for long-sleeved, silky blouses that I made last year. I used the same pattern that I used for Fabric E, just with longer sleeves.
H – I used this fabric in a baby quilt I made for my best friend’s sister. I got lucky, because she’s going to have a boy and I made the turquoise-blue and chocolate-brown quilt well before we knew the baby’s gender.
Tune in tomorrow to see how these quilt pieces start coming together!